The treatment uses a small handheld rolling device called a derma-roller that is covered with lots of tiny, closely spaced needles.
As the device rolls along the skin the needles penetrate the upper layers of skin to a depth up to 2mm.
What does it feel like?
You may feel some pressure though you wont feel any pain due to the topical anaesthetic that is applied prior to your procedure.
The treatment has two major benefits; collagen production is stimulated and at the same time a clear channel is provided for topical skincare to be absorbed more effectively through the top layer of skin.
Skin Needling creates a very minor trauma to the skin which lasts for a short period of time and does not result in any bruising or bleeding in the treated area.
By creating a controlled injury below the surface of the skin these microscopic punctures lead to new collagen formation via the normal skin repair mechanisms.
Skin Needling also perforates and softens fibrous scar tissue enabling the natural deposition of new collagen.
The new collagen fills depressed scars and wrinkles from the bottom up lifting the depression so they are level with the surrounding skin.
This process takes approximately 2-3 months to produce visible results and can also help thicken thin, crêpe like skin.
Scars will appear filled in and the complexion will be much smoother.
The appearance of fine lines and wrinkles will be improved too and the skin will look fresh and rejuvenated.
Some people will see an improvement after the first treatment.
What can Skin Needling treat?
• Acne Scarring and texture of the skin
• Lines and wrinkles - Rejuvenating Skin
• Stretch marks• Sun-damaged skins
• Thin, Crêpe like skin
Following your initial procedure, Paul will issue you with your personal derma-roller, and you will be required to bring it with you for each session and it is not recommended for home use.
Skin needling takes approximately 30 minutes to complete though you will need to arrive 45 minutes prior to allow for the application of a topical anaesthetic.
A course of three treatments is recommended, with a session every two weeks, then a maintenance session every two to three months for rejuvenation.
Each skin type responds differently which is why maintenance sessions every two to three months are required dependent on the initial condition being treated, and the desired outcome for the Client.
This time frame also enables us to see the maximum new collagen deposition and to assess the success of the treatment.
Please note that a very small number of skins will have a minimal response to skin needling.
Post Procedure Recovery
The skin will probably be red for a day or two but this can be hidden with mineral make-up and you can carry on with your activities as usual.
• Mild to moderate redness and sensitivity in the treated area lasting 12 to 48 hours
• Mild to moderate swelling and possible bruising for 2-3 days
• Dry and tight skin
• Tiny crusted areas occur all over that feel slightly rough and give a tanned appearance
• Varying amounts of flaking/peeling occur approximately 3 days after your treatment
• Makeup is fine to use after 48hours, though just keeping the skin moist often looks better and assists in faster peeling time
• After the skin has shed it has a healthy glow, feels softer, smoother and is more even in colour
• It is important to protect the new skin from the sun by using a broad spectrum SPF 30+ sunscreen daily
• If the healing skin is incorrectly cared for it can prolong healing and possibly lead to infection or scarring
• Possible herpes simplex outbreak if prone to cold sores
• Hyperpigmentation (darker areas of pigment on the skin) lasting 1 to 12 months
Things to Consider
Clients who should not consider this treatments include who:
• have been prescribed Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
• have Dermatitis or infection in the area to be treated
• are Pregnant
• have Keloid scars in the area requiring treatment
• are suffering from abnormal wound healing
It is essential that you attend a Consultation prior to your treatment so that a tailor made treatment programme can be started.
Paul will be able to advise you on the treatment plan which is most suitable for you to achieve your desired results.
Paul will run through all of this information in thorough detail with you at your consultation and will assess your suitability for this treatment.
If you have any concerns, queries or further questions relating to Skin Needling, please feel free to discuss them at the time of Consultation or prior to treatment commencing.